Saturday, July 14, 2012

Site Placement


I found out my placement for the next two years!  I’m heading off to Chuuk!  I will be on a small island, with a population fewer than the number of students I taught in the US.  The school I’ll be working in has grades 1 – 12, so I don’t know yet what I’ll be teaching.  There will be 7 other volunteers with me Chuuk, with the closest one being about a 20 minute motor boat ride away on a clear day.  I will be able to swim because there are beaches.  Here on Pohnpei most of the island is surrounded by mangroves, which means there are many fewer beaches.

On Saturday I’ll be heading off to the second stage of training.  I’ll have another host family for the four weeks before moving in with my permanent family in August.  I am going to miss my current host family very much!  It has been a fun experience to have such a large family, with so many people around all the time.  I have to remember to take pictures them before I leave! 

Language training has begun and I am looking forward to using it soon.  It’ll be easier to learn if I am hearing it around me.  I’m hoping to do a few more updates in the next few days.  So much has been happening and I’m determined to catch up!
Team Chuuk
or as we've come to call ourselves
Chuukadoodledoos!

1 comment:

  1. AWESOME! I'm excited to keep hearing about all of your experiences. You're team looks pretty wonderful!

    ReplyDelete